Ref. No: 126
INVITATION FOR WORK CONTRACTS IN INTERBALKAN ENVIRONMENT CENTER,
IN THE FRAMEWORK OF THE EUROPEAN PROJECT “WET_AID”
EUROPEAN TERRITORIAL COOPERATION PROGRAMME «GREECE – THE FORMER YUGOSLAV REPUBLIC OF MACEDONIA 2007-2013»
Intebalkan Environment Center (I-BEC), participates (PP4) in the European Project “«WET_AID – Protection of human life and environmental health through sustainable management of agrarian landscapes», in the framework of the European Territorial Cooperation Programme «Greece – The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia 2007-2013».
The project “WET-AID: Protection of human life and environmental health through sustainable management of agrarian landscapes” is considered as a very important effort for the protection of the environmental resources in the “Greece-the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia” cross-border area, through an innovative strategic approach for the systemic management of the environmental problems as well as their operative factors. At the same time, the interaction of the human and natural factors affecting natural environment and life quality in the cross-border area, is also under examination.
The project reflects the jointly identified need to strengthen the collaboration between the competent authorities and institutions of the two countries, with the aim to create common methodologies, guidelines, strategies, sustainable structures and harmonized data in water and soil ecosystem monitoring and management through the use of advanced technology for the promotion of protection of human life and environmental health. This common need for harmonization was identified by the two leading partners that initiated the development of the current project proposal, in the context of the implementation of the Water Framework Directive (2000/60/EC) which highlights the need for common approaches.
Main activities include:
- Implementation of water and soil monitoring actions (quality and quantity) in the test sites of the project and carrying out a subsequent environmental evaluation of the system’s performance.
- Impact assessment of economic activities around protected areas (Wetland of Lakes Koronia and Volvi) and development of monitoring indicators.
- Supply, by FLP1, of a state of the art unmanned aqueous vehicle with autonomous water quality monitoring equipment.
- Ecohydrological modelling of water resources in Mygdonia basin for the protection of environment from natural resources contamination and public health from natural risks.
- Landuse and soil ecosystem common management guidelines.
- Action plan and studies which contain regional strategies for the conservation and protection of environment and public health in agrarian landscapes in protected areas.
- Increase of public awareness of local communities in water quality and quantity issues and landuse practices and increase of public health protection from environmental hazards.
The Project’s expected benefits include:
1. The assessment of the current status of the protected areas concerning the water quality and quantity
2. The development of guidelines for the protection of environment and public health from natural risks and water pollution events
3. Proposed actions that will contribute to the protection of public health and in the same time to the enhancement and conservation of environmental health
4. Public awareness and increased citizens’ sense of security and safety
5. Increased bondage among participating bodies/countries.
The duration of the Project is 16 months and i-BEC’s budget is 245.500,00 €. The project is co-financed by 75% by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) & by 25% by National Funds.
For the implementation of the actions of the above mentioned Project, i-BEC intends to employ ten (10) people with work contracts. The work contracts will be carried during the implementation of the above project and in accordance with the final approved time schedule.
Candidates will be employed for the purpose of implementing the actions of the project in which i-BEC participates, and specifically:
- Action 1.2: Management Actions
- Action 3.1: Environmental and public health monitoring framework
- Action 3.2: Assessing the impacts of economic activities around protected areas on environmental and public health
- Action 3.4: Pilot application of health and impact assessment techniques in greek and FYROM protected areas
- Action 4.1: Ecohydrological modeling of water resources for the confrontation of natural risks on public health and the conservation of environment
- Action 4.2: Landuse planning and soil ecosystem management in agrarian landscapes for pollution control and protection of environmental and human health
The actions in which each person will participate will be described at their relevant contracts, and will concern the implementation of a part of the following tasks:
- Assessment of the impacts of economic activities around protected areas and selection of monitoring indicators
- Development of methodological guidelines and protocols for the implementation of environmental and human health protection
- Soil and water sampling and operating tools and heavy machinery on the field
- Laboratorial chemical analyses on soil and water samples
- Monitoring of lake Volvi with an unmanned aqueous vehicle with autonomous water quality monitoring equipment
- Technical support for the use and operation on the field of unmanned aqueous vehicle, telemetry tools, cameras, heavy machinery, etc.
- Processing of digital maps and hydro-meteorological time
- Using geographic information systems (GIS) and digital elevation model (DEM)
- Simulation of physical processes in basin with SWAT (soil and water assessment tool)
- Development and implementation of eco-hydrological model in the basin of Mygdonia for dealing with natural hazards.
- Planning land use and management of territorial rural landscape ecosystem in the basin of Mygdonia.
- Organization and participation in project meetings.
- Progress reports as well as processing and archiving administrative and financial documents.
Required qualifications for the candidates include:
- Higher education (University or TEI) in engineering, information technology, environmental, biological science, economics and management.
- Professional experience related to the following fields:
Þ monitoring and sustainable management of soil-water resources
Þ collecting and elaborating environmental data
Þ environmental, planning and technical studies
Þ software application/model on modern technology tools in environmental management
Þ environmental education
Þ field measurements and laboratory analyzes of soil and water samples
Þ operation and maintenance of telemetric stations
Þ Signal transmission and data networks
Þ Processing and management of spatial and environmental data point.
Þ Use of databases and geographic information systems for the environment
Þ Software development/models for management of environmental data.
Þ Development of web applications.
Þ Operation of an UAV for monitoring environmental indicators in lake Volvi.
Þ Programs / projects management and progress reports.
- Computer knowledge (word, excel, internet)
- Knowledge of English
For more information please see here, or contact us on email@example.com.